Friday, August 17, 2007

All you need is love: Missy + James

"To photograph, one must be in love."-Joel Meyerowitz

I hope I'm remembering that quote correctly. I heard it at one of the 1st photo seminars I attended so long ago I'm not going to bother counting the years. Regardless, the spirit of the words remain stuck in my brain despite the fact that I can't remember to buy milk at the grocery store.
I like that the quote can be interpreted on many levels. "...in love", whether with one's self, life, the creative process, photography or the subject at hand, are all possibilities.
On one level, I love the fact that my clients, however they found me, have entrusted me with documenting such an once-in-a-lifetime event. Being given that responsibility fills me with just enough confidence to sow my creative oats, so to speak. Make no mistake, fear plays a role as well.
I also love when I have clients that are so obviously in love that they practically glow. Missy + James, these 2 are so damn cute and enamored of each other, I thought they might actually break out in song during our shoot.
Perhaps I could amend those words, "To be photographed, one must be in love."









4 comments:

Randy said...

Great engagement session Mark! They guys are such a beautiful couple and the images so fun and inspiring that it's hard not to hate you for being so damned good!

What is the background on the first shot. Not being from around there, it looks like bleachers at a football stadium? I'm just guessing. Maybe you should start a "name that location" game on your blog?

So, you forget to pick up the lettuce too, huh?

:)

Great work Mark and a wonderful story. I really enjoy your writing.

Randyg

mindy myers said...

A ha! I take this incredible engagement shoot as a challenge! These are great. You're giving me a run for the money. Could you please not post your best stuff?

avs said...

GREAT photos, that last shot is adorable.

avs said...

blog more, por favor