Monday, April 16, 2007

Season opener: Johanna + C.J.

Saturday night brought the true start to the 2007 wedding season. Johanna and C.J. promised a night to remember and a cast of characters to keep me busy. They were right, for the first time since going digital, I very nearly ran out of memory. Everything from dressing to departure took place in the The Temple for Performing Arts, a restored Masonic Temple in downtown Des Moines. Large doses of fun were had by all in attendance. I went home and ordered 8 more gigabytes for my cameras in case I run into another group of crazy, beautiful people like Johanna and C.J. What are the chances?

Johanna gets ready with her mother's help. Her vintage gown was the same wedding dress worn by C.J.'s late mother.
It takes a village to get a groom into a rented tux. C.J. got help from his father and one of his groomsmen.


The highlight of the day was when I stole away with Johanna and C.J. for a relaxed, but quick, portrait session in and around the Temple. I push all my couples to give me a small window of creative time because a few sweet portraits and quiet moments of the couple adds so much to the final package. I asked for 10-15 min., and somehow got away with 28. I think their indulgence of the beret-wearing artiste inside me paid off handsomely.





C.J.'s not a bad dancer for a journalist, a breed notoriously challenged by rhythm. I suspect dancing lessons were part of the wedding planning process.

Any good toast has to include an embarassing revelation about the toasted and Johanna's maid of honor, Cate, did not disappoint, managing to mix laughs and tears in good measure.

A wedding is an emotional roller-coaster for everyone involved but, even as a father myself, I don't know if anyone appreciates the wash of feelings the father of the bride experiences on the day he gives his daughter away.

So, without naming names, it seems the hired d.j. failed to show up for work on Saturday. So, a family friend (and Ph.D.) pooled the iPods and a laptop and kept the dancefloor hopping all night.
Moms and grandmothers, consider yourself warned. If you get on the dance floor, you will be photographed. Sure, a portrait is nice but a shot of dear old mom cutting a rug is priceless.

Thanks to everyone in attendance for making it a night to remember. And, if you can't remember, I have the pictures to jog that memory.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mark--you rock!!!! It looks fabulous!!!!! Much love, CJ and Johanna (recovering in Mexico)

Unknown said...

Mark, your work is amazing! You captured sooo much in every one of your shots! It was awesome to have the experience of re-living the emotions of the evening and YOU did that! Thank you, Auntie Angie

victoria10 said...

Hi Mark:
Wow what great photos. You have done a great thing for our family
to remember one of the best times we have ever had together.
I wish you continued good luck in your work, you are really good at it. Thanks again, Aunt Carol in Atlanta,