Sunday, April 1, 2007

Tax-deductible fun (and learning)


It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a middle-aged white guy taking flight after having my first In-N-Out Burger, the only bargain meal in Las Vegas.
I spent last week in the cacaphonous desert mess of Vegas at the Digital Wedding Forum conference, 3 1/2-days of seminars delivered by longtime and rising stars of wedding photography including Joe Buissink, Yervant and Doug + Chenin Boutwell. These are the type of people who simultaneously inspire me while making me want to rip my eyes out. Their work has that certain mojo that I'm always striving for and, while I know it's not easy, they make it look that way.
The best part of the week, though, is the chance to hang out with a wide swath of colleagues and swap ideas over overpriced drinks until the wee hours of the morning and then get up impossibly early for more. Thanks to my friends in the "Portland Mafia," including Randy Kepple, JP + Amy Prutch and Nicole Wickens, for taking me under their wing (only one, there was usually a drink in the other). I love their camaraderie and their devotion to having fun. Nicole took the image above.
I can't wait to unleash all my new knowledge on my clients this year. Someday, maybe I can inspire some photographer to rip their eyes out (metaphorically, I mean).

A couple of other lowlights from Vegas:
Portland godfather JP Prutch buffing my skull while bad girl of the desert Jeanie Ow watches.
A meeting of the minds with John Michael Cooper, one of the most creative and nicest guys I've had the pleasure of meeting.


These uncomfortable girls are Joy + Jules Bianchi of California. Jules is one of our organization's rockstars and just darn sweet. I was hoping some of her sunshiny mojo might rub off on me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I thought that was the euphoria you felt upon my leaving....Mimi

nicole wickens-smith said...

Mark, you shouldn't be so humble. You totally make me want to rip my eyes out! Love the shot of the couple in the car in front of the church!!

Randy said...

Mark...I agree with Nicole. You are so very humble and a rockin' talent all your own. I bet most of your readers have no idea that you are a Pulitzer nominated photographer!

Your shooting skill is only matched by your quick wit and unabashed humor, you had me rolling on the floor almost all week long and my sides are still sore from laughing so much.

Great to see you in Vegas. Looking forward to Tampa in '08! Keep on blogging baby!

Jules Bianchi said...

Hi Mark! It was so nice to meet you in Vegas... hope the sunshiney mojo rubbed off!!